Common Mistake People Make With Electrical Equipment In Their Home
The term electrical contractor is used to describe companies that provide these services and the individual workers that actually render them. Electrical contractors design, install and maintain electrical systems in homes, offices, and buildings while managing worker scheduling to ensure work is completed on time.
Apart from offering long-term safety, an easy way to troubleshoot any issues with your electrical system, and actually working out to be the most cost-effective route, in the long run, hiring an electrical contractor is simply the right way of going about projects that involve electricity. Failing to call in a professional and taking on electrical projects yourself can result in harm to your property, injury to yourself, and expenditure on repairs that could easily be avoided.
To help you avoid some basic errors that could prove to be costly, Tuscany Electric Inc. has put together a list of the most common mistakes people make concerning electrical equipment present in most homes.
1. Not replacing smoke detectors periodically
We often hear clients say they pressed the test button on their smoke detector, and since it sounded, it works and thus does not need to be replaced. This is a misconception. Smoke detectors have an expiry label on them that specifies when they should be replaced and if the label is missing need to be opened up to find when the device was manufactured. If the smoke detector is over ten years old or tan or brown in colour, it’s time for a replacement. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives and should not be overlooked.
2. Replacing or switching circuit breakers with a higher amperage
Another mistake we have seen is customers replacing 15 Amp circuit breakers with 20 Amp circuit breakers because the 15 Amp breaker kept tripping. This is not only a code violation but is a dangerous practice, as when you upsize a breaker, you must ensure that you have the correct wire size to go along with it. If you install a 20 Amp circuit breaker on a wire only rated for 15 Amps, the wire can overheat and potentially cause a fire.
3. Using space heaters incorrectly
When temperatures drop, out come space heaters to provide comfort. However, people are often unaware of the dangers involved with this product. It is essential to look at the wattage ratings of your space heater. Most space heaters require a dedicated circuit 15 Amp circuit, and using them on standard household wiring can cause high heat and stress on the wire and result in a fire.
4. Running extension cords through walls
Running extension cords through walls and studs is a dangerous practice as the extension cords are not rated to be run through walls, and most of the time, the wire size is insufficient for the load it is carrying. It is crucial to hire a qualified electrician and have the correct wire run to replace the extension cord to ensure you and the people around you are always safe from electrical incidents that can cause harm to life and property.
To avoid these and other mistakes, reach out to the expert at Tuscany Electric Inc. I specialize in residential electrical service, repair, installation, and renovations. I have around two decades’ worth of experience in electrical maintenance, and I’ll make sure to deliver the quality service that your home deserves. I offer residential electrical services, including electrical service and repair, lighting solutions, smoke or CO detectors, dimmers and smart switches, aluminum wiring, whole home surge protectors, electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) or charger, and electrical panel or service upgrades.